Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Reich and Cage: Sounds/Noises

Reich and Cage write about acknowledging the everyday sounds/noises we hear everyday such as vehicles, rain, wind, etc, and using those noises as musical instruments. I thought the article was detailed and thorough but also more complicated. Also, the author/s writes about sounds, composers, and the technology that is being used to create “music” or organized sounds. 

I should mention Steve Reich's artwork, Pendulum Music, 1966, because the piece is something different than just organizing sounds and refers to what he writes about. I thought the artwork was fascinating because of how he kinetically and electronically produced various sounds. He produced different noises by moving microphones above speakers in a different pace.

I like how Steve Reich mentions that “every software has a story, every sound has an origin” and John Cage refers to a composer as an organizer. I find that respectful. The technology/software part of his writing was more difficult for me to understand since I am not familiar with composing music and using such technology myself; though, I am familiar with music composed by artists who use digital softwares in their productions. Most DJs only use digital technologies and manipulate gathered sounds. They could make music with the sounds of eating food by adding different beats and organizing them together for example. I think that music composers are talented organizers who juggle with various sounds and noises to produce a beat. 







No comments:

Post a Comment