Monday, February 13, 2017

The Future of Music

"You can literally use any sound at any precise (or not so precise) point in time." - DJ Spooky


"Silence is one of contemporary info culture's rarest commodities" - DJ  Spooky

"I felt I needed a break from technology" - Reich 


The three quotes above, I pulled because they all stood out to me to be true today, and in a way, they all coincide with each other. 
I can make the connection between them by using technology as a central theme. Everyone is always on some type of electronic device
it seems like. Because of this, it is even harder to find silence than ever before. There is the clicking of the keyboard, the buzzing of cords, 
phone's vibrating. There is always a sound to hear. This relates to what DJ spooky says in reference to being able to use any sound at any 
moment. Because of technology, now, all types of sounds are available at our finger tips. We can record them with our phones, download 
them from the computer, stream them; the options are endless. But, with all this, we also become overwhelmed with technology, and
while this is not what Reich means when he says he needs a break from technology, it is relatable in a sense. 

We've learned that any sounds compiled together can make "music", even if they don't sound charming to us. I think after reading these 
pieces it becomes even more obvious the lack of silence there is, and even when listening to music I like, instead of only hearing what is  
intended to be heard, my focus shifts to random noises in the background of the songs that I may not have recognized otherwise, and often
times I can connect the sounds to what they are in the real world. 




No comments:

Post a Comment