Monday, February 13, 2017

The Future of Music & Introduction... / In Through the Out Door

Naturally, I thought of the Velvet Underground because I've always confused John Cage and John Cale. Whatever, the connection works this time. The Velvet Underground & Nico was released thirty years after Cage's text was written and demonstrates the prescience of Cage's ideas. While melodic at times, the album can be quite... noisy. It took me quite a few listens to appreciate and even enjoy the occasionally cacophonous work, but just imagine how grating it must have been for 60s listeners attuned to the dulcet tones of The Beach Boys, The Beatles, and the like. It's almost a paradigm shift, how society's sonic palette can develop over time and what is considered "music" broadens in definition. Now, there are entire genres that span from noise rock to minimalist ambient installations.

Either way, I really hope Cage got to go to New Zealand.

//

I wish I knew what Reich was talking about. It's kind of a drag to hear the development of his artwork without having a reference. Oh well. Some interesting ideas though: how our ideas develop alongside technology. Similar to the idea that our thoughts are only as good as our language. The difference is whether or not you accept these new technologies and integrate them into your work. Reich has preferences, but acknowledges the benefits of being open to new avenues of expression and adapting. It's always good to adapt.

I wish I knew what DJ Shadow was talking about. He's very well-spoken and I didn't really give the time to effectively read his words. Oh well. I've always thought about the whole civilization vs nature issue. Romanticism is over 'cause there are chimney stacks as far as the eye can see. Sorry Coleridge. But is this inherently bad? I'm not sure. It's unnatural, but is that consequently immoral? Humans are part of nature and so aren't our acts, by extension, natural? Even if they harm other nature? Either way, yes, there's too much information in the world, it paralyzes people, and causes crippling boredom - go postmodernism!

2 comments: