Monday, January 30, 2017

Thoughts on The Futurist Manifesto

With all the political controversy and women’s protests, ect., this manifesto is oddly relevant and relatable to the times we are living in right now. I don’t particularly agree with a lot of what he has stated here, but I can see a reflection of our society today through his words.

There is a lot going on and it’s hard for me to fully wrap my head around everything, but I think there are a few major points Marinetti is trying to make. Although I’m not exactly sure what those points are, I believe they have to do with art, war and age.

Nothing about his words was casual. To me, I felt like the whole manifesto was about promoting violence, and it was really heavy for me. Dominant ideologies of fascism run clear throughout this piece. It seemed as though he was strongly against the arts, and wrote this glorifying war and aggression and hierarchy.

Marinetti’s use of metaphor when describing museums made me curious yet confused. I didn’t know what he was comparing the museums to. My impression was that he was speaking about the future of Italy and comparing the future of the country to the young people that are going to actively transform the future. And after your thirty and forty, one adds no value to society and where society is headed, as he says:

“Museums: public dormitories where one lies forever beside hated or unknown beings. Museums: absurd abattoirs of painters and sculptors ferociously slaughtering each other with color-blows and line-
blows, the length of the fought-over walls!”

“But I don’t admit that our sorrows, our fragile courage, our morbid restlessness should be given a daily conducted tour
through the museums. Why poison ourselves? Why rot?”

The statement below is also very interesting to me because I think there is actually some truth to it. As someone who paints and has studied art and is influenced by the arts, I believe that most of the art we see today stems from experiences and history, most of which is made up of violence and cruelty and injustice. So amongst everything, I do agree with that statement.

“Art, in fact, can be nothing but violence, cruelty, and injustice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment